The rapper left the Miami Heat-Los Angeles Lakers game Sunday afternoon and tweeted he was forced to leave because he was rooting for the Lakers. But Heat spokeswoman Lorrie-Ann Diaz told USA TODAY Sports in an e-mail that Lil Wayne was not kicked out but instead chose to leave.
One fan who was at the game said security approached Lil Wayne after he made a gesture.
“Random guy yelled at Lil Wayne at #MiamiHEAT game. Weezy looked back, gave him a mean stare & gestured he had a gun,” tweeted Danny Vega, who said he was at the game and sitting near Lil Wayne. “Weezy just got into argument with security at the #MiamiHEAT game. He got kicked out for gun gesture.”
Diaz, the Heat spokeswoman, did not respond to a question about whether security approached Lil Wayne before he left.
Lil Wayne cited racism when he was not allowed into a Western Conference finals game last year, but Oklahoma City Thunder spokesman Dan Mahoney said the issue was the rapper didn’t have a ticket to the sold-out game. He then attended an NBA Finals game in Oklahoma City, apparently smoothing over any issues with Thunder staff.
About the Author
Adi Joseph spent nearly three years as a copy editor, first for The Des Moines Register, then USA TODAY Sports, before taking over as NBA digital producer.
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKgQOUHhPU0 (www.youtube.com)
- ^ http://https//twitter.com/LilTunechi/status/300726249075113985 (https)
- ^ http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/02/10/lebron-james-kobe-bryant-miami-heat-los-angeles-lakers/1907649/ (www.usatoday.com)
- ^ http://https//twitter.com/sdVEGA (https)
- ^ http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/06/lil-wayne-says-race-is-reason-hes-unwanted-in-okc/1#.URg7i6U0WSo (content.usatoday.com)
- ^ http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/thunder/story/2012-06-02/lil-wayne-ticket-controversy/55345102/1 (usatoday30.usatoday.com)
- ^ http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/06/lil-wayne-sitting-courtside-at-thunder-heat-game-1/1#.URg7K6U0WSp (content.usatoday.com)