I.O.C. Says It Held Second Video Call With Peng Shuai

Olympic officials said they ‘shared the same concern as many’ about the safety of the Chinese tennis star but offered no details of what they discussed with her.

The International Olympic Committee said Thursday that it had held a second call with the Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai, trying anew to deflect criticism of its light-touch approach to China only months before the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing.

“We share the same concern as many other people and organizations about the well-being and safety of Peng Shuai,” the I.O.C. statement said. “This is why, just yesterday, an IOC team held another video call with her. We have offered her wide-ranging support,

→ Continue reading at The New York Times Sports

Similar Articles

Advertisment

Most Popular

Oscar’s Foreign Accent Dates Back to the Birth of Cinema

The public considers the Academy Awards as a Hollywood event. True, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences is headquartered in Southern California,...

Why Netflix keeps cranking up its prices

Every year, the cost of streaming gets more and more expensive — and just last week, prices started going up again. Netflix announced that...

Crews rescue two people after car goes over embankment in Tacoma

Two people were rescued Tuesday after their car drove off the road and down a steep embankment. TACOMA, Wash. — A team with...